we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

Monday, 22 December 2008

apples

It is ridiculous, at this very moment, how much I want an apple.

Crunchy - preferably cold.

I think that apples, for me, at this particular time, are the epitimisation of matarialism. I truly believe that a material object (in this case, an apple) could improve my life immeasurably.

Oh Wikipedia, tell me something esoteric about materialism...

"The term is often associated with criticisms of consumption starting with Thorstein Veblen."



This guy.

Thorstein Bunde Veblen was a Norwegian-American sociologist and founder of the institutional economics movement. This movement focuses on understanding the role of human-made institutions have on economic behaviour, the purposive decisions of individuals, what affects these decisions, and how they shape the economy.

Good on you, Thorstein.

No comments: